The month of Ramadan is getting ready to kick-start this week and I wanted to make something special for my friends who celebrate this holy month.
During this month, families gather to break their fast with a meal known as Iftaar with dates, because it is said that Prophet Muhammad broke fast with three dates and water. Therefore, the association of dates with Ramadan.
This recipe is a healthy and delicious one because it is a natural snack, it doesn’t contain sugar and it happens to be vegan! What more can we ask for! Prepare it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until serving time.
You can use any unsalted nuts you prefer for this recipe.
- 1 pound date paste
- 10 oz mixed unsalted nuts
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 3 oz shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Additional shredded coconut to roll the bites in. (optional)
- Process the date paste in the food processor.
- Add the mixed unsalted nuts, coconut oil, vanilla and pulse until the ingredients become a paste.
- Use a cookie scoop or roll about 1 teaspoon of mixture between your hands to make even size bites.
- Roll the bites in shredded coconut to cover completely.
- Place these beautiful bites in candy liners and keep in the fridge.
- Serve them to friends and family and enjoy before Iftaar or anytime as natural energy bites.