One of my favorite side dishes during the holiday season is the sweet potato casserole. This classic sweet potato casserole is the perfect combination of sweet potato filling and crunchy buttery, pecan topping. Prepare it ahead of time and bake it before your guests get home for dinner. It will become a family favorite and tradition.
Ingredients for the Potatoes:
- 3 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
Ingredients for the Topping:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour (see note below)
- Mix and pour over potatoes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash.
- Mix mashed potatoes with sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, spices and melted butter.
- Spread the mixture into a ready baking dish that you sprayed with vegetable spray.
- In medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is light brown.
P.S: Self rising flour is all-purpose flour with a leavening agent in it. You can prepare it at home by using this equation: For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.