Focaccia is a flat oven-baked Italian bread similar in style and texture to pizza. It may be topped with herbs or other ingredients; It is popular in Italy and is usually seasoned with olive oil, sea salt, herbs, and at times it may be topped with onion, cheese and meat. This is a good alternative to pizza!
Ingredients for the Dough:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Warm water, as needed
- 7-8 strips of sun dried tomatoes, chopped.
- 3/4 cup of pitted black olives
- Few sprigs of rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (coarse salt)
- Olive oil for
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Mix in the warm milk. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yeast, sugar with 1/4 cup warm water. Wait until bubbles start forming on the surface.
- Add the yeast to the flour mixture and combine in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix and add warm water as needed to have a soft but not sticky dough.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Punch dough down; place on greased baking sheet. Pat into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Brush top with olive oil. Sprinkle with olives, rosemary sprigs, sea salt and sun dried tomatoes.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm…