I got this recipe from a dessert book by Rosemary Wilkinson. This is my first try making it and I loved it. The texture is light and moist and the flavor is honey and lemon… You must give it a try!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup semolina
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch square deep cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place the butter and 3 tablespoons of the honey in a saucepan and heat gently until melted.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon lemon juice, then stir in the rest with the lemon rind and milk.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and nutmeg, then beat in with the semolina.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold evenly into the semolina mixture.
- Spoon into the pan and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Mix the reserved honey and lemon juice and drizzle over the cake while warm.
- Cool in the pan, then cut into bars to serve.