This is a great recipe for Toum or Creamy Garlic Spread (Aoili). It’s a delicious condiment on grilled meat, lamb, fish, sandwiches, wraps, pasta or even vegetables. I like it so much that I eat it on a labné sandwich! Some recipes use boiled potatoes or even egg whites however I only make mine using garlic, salt, lemon juice and canola oil. The outcome looks like whipped garlic sauce and it’s creamy and delicious.
To make this recipe, use a food processor; you have to be patient while preparing the garlic sauce for best results. The slow process helps with the emulsion and the sauce will not separate and become runny. I hope these photos will make the steps easy to follow.
- 1 cup garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 tablespoons iced water
- In a food processor, combine salt, garlic and whip for couple of minutes.
- Use a rubber spatula to wipe the sides of the processor.
- While the machine is running, slowly add couple teaspoons lemon juice through the top opening of the food processor.
- Drizzle oil very thinly, process then alternate with added lemon juice.
- Add 2 teaspoons iced water and continue whipping the mixture.
- Drizzle more oil slowly till the rest of the 2 cups is fully incorporated.
- Stop the machine and taste the spread to see if it needs extra lemon juice.
- The Toum (garlic) is done, it’s creamy and delicious.
- Put in a container and keep in the fridge until ready for use.
- Eat the next day so the flavor is not too sharp.