I’m always seeking new recipes and ingredients especially since I’ve been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle. I met Mung beans in Lebanon on the shelf of a supermarket in Beirut and decided to give them a try. I honestly fell in love with them after reading their health benefits on the package and started experimenting with them till we became really good friends, lol!
You can find Mung Beans in all supermarkets in the USA.
Nutritional Facts: 1 oz (28 grams) of dried Green Mung Beans:
• 100 Calories
• 0g Fat
• 5g Fiber
• 7g Protein (Protein equivalent to 1 hardboiled egg or 1 oz of chicken, turkey, salmon, etc.)
Green Mung Beans are Nutritional Powerhouses
• Good source of protein
• Good source of dietary fiber (helps to lower cholesterol, prevents constipation and keeps you feeling full)
• Low in sodium
• Low in cholesterol
• Vitamins: A, B Vitamins (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid) Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Vitamin K.
• Minerals: Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Copper and Manganese.
• Sprouted Green Mung Beans produce live enzymes
• Mung Beans are low on the glycemic index at 25 and have a low glycemic load of 4 making them a smart food choice for diabetics. Diabetics can safely eat Green Mung Beans. The low glycemic index, fiber and protein help to regulate blood sugar.
• They also contain skin anti-aging properties that stimulate the production of hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin, all essential to younger healthier skin.
Eating Green Mung Beans is Ideal for those with Digestive Issues and Sensitive Stomachs
Green Mung Beans Are:
•Anti-inflammatory (can reduce inflammation)
•Prevent gas and bloating, unlike other beans.
Green Mung Beans Exhibit Powerful Antioxidant Properties that can Help Fight Disease as well as Protect the Body.
Consuming Green Mung Beans Have Been Studied to Treat the Following Medical Conditions:
•Celiac Disease/Gluten Free Diets
Green Mung Beans Contain Phytoestrogens Contributing to Anti-Aging Benefits
•Produce Collagen, Elastin, and Hyaluronic acid, All Three of which are Essential to Acquiring Younger and Healthier skin
•Can Regulate Hormones after Menopause, Relieve Hot Flashes, and Prevent Osteoporosis
How to sprout Mung Beans:
- Rinse the beans until the water runs clear.
- Mung beans get much bigger once they sprout, so be careful not to make too much.
- Place the rinsed beans in a clear bowl.
Pour enough cold water into the bowl to immerse the beans, generally around 2 to 3 times the volume of the beans.
- Soak for 6-12 hours. After 6-12 hours (usually around 8 hours), the beans will swell. How long they have to soak will depend on the beans and the temperature of where you live.
- Drain away the excess water and rinse the beans with cold water. Drain again.
- Cover the beans with a paper towel and refrigerate until ready to use.