These Coconut Cookies are yummy and easy to prepare. The method I’m using here is not the traditional one, however it’s guaranteed to win your satisfaction. I made a double batch so we’ll eat some and freeze the rest. These cookies are crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside; they will look so festive on your holiday table!
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of one lemon
- Maraschino cherries for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then sprinkle in the sugar and continue beating until peaks are stiff.
- Add vanilla and beat just to incorporate it in the mixture.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in half of the coconut flakes and fold in the mixture.
- Fold in the remaining coconut flakes.
- Place this mixture in a non stick pot over low heat and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the mixture off the heat and let it cool for 30 minutes.
- Using a scoop or just working with two spoons, form snowballs a couple of inches apart on your cookie sheets.
- Press half a maraschino cherry in the top of cookie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or just until they are a light and golden color.
- Remove cookie tray from oven and place it on a cooling rack ti cool.