Apple crisp or apple crumble is a dessert consisting of baked chopped apples, topped with a crisp streusel crust. It is a the best simple and seasonal dessert to prepare. Whether you top it with ice cream or simply serve it by itself, you will never regret making this dessert.
- 2½ pounds medium Granny Smith and Honey Crisp apples (about 5 or 6), peeled, cored, and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup uncooked rolled oats
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for coating the dish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with vegetable spray.
- Combine the apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl and toss to coat. Place the apple mixture in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Using the same bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oats, and flour until evenly combined. With your fingertips, blend in the butter pieces until small clumps form and the butter is well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples and bake until the streusel is crispy and the apples are tender, about 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool on a rack at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.