Lebanese Eggplant Moussaka is a traditional vegetarian dish consisting of garbanzo beans, eggplants and fresh tomatoes. It is best served as a side dish however, can be served for lunch as a meal on its own. Typically, it is eaten with green peppers.
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large eggplants, peeled, cut into big chunks
- 2 large onions, Julienned
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, dissolved in 1 cup water
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying the eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cayenne pepper, black pepper to taste
- 2 beef Maggi cubes, optional
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep-frying pan and fry the eggplant chunks till they turn golden.
- Remove and place on a kitchen absorbent paper to drain.
- In a cooking pot, heat the olive oil and fry the onion and garlic cloves till they turn soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, tomato paste, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cover the pot and leave the mixture to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the fried eggplants to the pot. Cover and cook it for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Adjust salt and spices to your taste.
- Plate the Moussaka and serve it cold.